Monday, July 5, 2010

16 weeks


Weekly Update:
How far along: 16 weeks, 4 days
How big is baby: about the size of an avocado; about 4.5 inches and around 3 ounces
Total weight gain: about 5 pounds (let's just say I enjoyed the holiday weekend...)
Maternity clothes: taking some maternity pants/shorts out for a test drive, but not officially switched
Cravings: still no. 
Sleep: no problems. 
Movement: maybe! :) Late last week I was laying on the couch after dinner and felt this "flutter" twice.  Haven't felt it since, but I think that might have been it. 
Best moment this week: Got to hear the heartbeat again. That's a nice sound. 
What I miss: Really bummed I didn't get to kneeboard this past weekend :( Randy voted that activity out. 
What I am looking forward to: July 15th!!!! Ultrasound. More below...
Pregnancy rant: This isn't so much a rant, but an airing of feelings. I am really looking forward to this ultrasound because I  have had a fear since about 2 minutes after finding out I was pregnant that something was going to be wrong with this baby. Having this ultrasound will either rest my fears, or help us prepare for the future. I was one of those who didn't know I was pregnant for several weeks and was, unfortunately, exposed to potential toxins in preparation for our mission trip (yellow fever vaccine, oral typhoid vaccine and 2 doses of mefloquine, which is an anti-malaria medicine) that we ended up not going on. I have not found any material relating to these vaccines/meds that states there will be birth defects, but basically all of them state that there is potential for birth defects, which is reassuring, but also nerve-wracking. I addressed these concerns with my OB on day 1, but he feels that because I was exposed so early on in the pregnancy, if there was something wrong, I wouldn't have made it this far. This ultrasound will be my way of checking on the baby, to see if he/she has a super-awesome immune system and has nothing wrong, or perhaps was affected by any of these vaccines/meds.  So, please pray for a healthy baby on the ultrasound next week...and the bonus will be finding out the gender. :)

By the way, if you haven't voted yet, please do! I see it's a tie right now...

No comments:

Post a Comment