Saturday, July 7, 2012

1 month {Nolan}


Size:I snuck Nolan on to our pediatrician's scale yesterday for an official weigh-in at 8lbs, 12.8oz. At his 2 week appointment, he was up to 21 inches long, but I suspect he's grown since then. Still in newborn clothes, but starting to fill out some 3 month items! Newborn diapers as well, but those are looking tight around his increasingly chubbier legs!


Mobility: This month has been all about neck strength (duh). Nolan can lift his head up about 45 degrees when on his tummy and has been able to lift his head and turn from side to side on occasion. When he is upright, he is very good at holding his head up and looking around at the world. Overall, I would say he's a pretty strong little guy!


Sleep: I don't know how we got so lucky, but Nolan was born knowing how to sleep in 4-6 hour chunks at night. [fingers crossed I didn't jinx us] Although he wiggles out of it more than Jonah, we are still swaddling Nolan (though loosely) in a light blanket when he sleeps because it does seem to calm him down. He'll usually end up unswaddled by the time he wakes up, so maybe he isn't quite as dependent on it as Jonah was. I've been able to get him to sleep in his crib for naps twice so far, but we are still working on it. Nolan prefers to sleep in his swing or in his rock 'n play sleeper (next to our bed), but he will sleep in his pack 'n play on occasion (which I'm hoping transitions to his crib well).

[check out them baby blues starting to show through]

Feeding: During the day, Nolan pretty much eats every 2.5-3.5 hours. At night, he will have one longer stretch where he will go 4-6 hours and then switch back to 3.5 hours between feedings. At the beginning, I thought he was going to be a fussy nurser, but he is growing into a pretty efficient little eating machine. Jonah would easily take 45 minutes to eat in one sitting, but Nolan can be satisfied in about 20-30 minutes (which makes me a lot happier). Nolan doesn't spit up much (compared to Jonah), but I do think that he is more sensitive to what I eat. So far I've noticed that he doesn't like it when I eat chocolate, spicy/hot foods and especially gassy foods (not surprising). He gets all red in the face and arches back like he is so mad and uncomfortable, but I'm watching more of what I eat to prevent that from happening. So far, he has taken a bottle twice -- once from me and once from Randy -- and has done really well with it! I hate to say it, but I think he might prefer it because it's so much faster (remember, he seems to be all about efficiency these days).


Personality: I know at one month old there isn't much of a personality showing yet, but I think we have another sweet, playful, relatively easy going little man on our hands. He's more of a cuddle bug than I remember Jonah being, but has moments of being really active and studying his surroundings. When Nolan gets mad, he gets mad! He is affectionately known at the Red Hulk in this house. :)


Loves: cuddling, loose swaddling, tummy time (ha!), fans, blinds, faces, his hands, bouncing and rocking, swinging, the feel of a clean diaper, walks on the beach, mommy and daddy, his big brother Jonah!

Dislikes: being lotioned, sometimes bathtime, being naked/changing clothes, diaper changes, getting his nails filed, being put in his carrier, pacifiers


Happy 1 month, Nolan! 

No comments:

Post a Comment