Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Teething and other activities

Suspicion: Jonah has entered the world of teething. This is his story (dun dun).

Exhibit A: Drool.

Exhibit B: His hands are always in his mouth. Sometimes just one finger, but usually as many fingers as possible. Sometimes that isn't enough, so he tries to shove his whole fist in his mouth. Or both fists.




Exhibit C: He has woken up during night for 6 nights in a row. For the past month, he would sleep from about 9pm til 5:30-6am, and we recently were having to wake him up at that time. Now, he's waking up sometime between 3:30-4:30am, and one night he woke up at 2:30 and 4:30. Oh, and he's screaming.

Exhibit D: Mood swings. He goes from a happy, smiling baby to a screaming, crying, red-in-the-face baby in about 5 seconds. And he's become simply impossible to calm down. He will cry for 10-15 minutes straight. All the old tricks that normally calmed him down have become obsolete. These days, sucking on his hand or a pacifier is about the only thing that regularly satisfies him. (Just for the record, I'm not exactly a fan of this habit he is forming. I'm pro-paci, but only as a last resort.)

(check it out, he's just started exploring the world of the exersaucer!)

Exhibit E: He likes chomping on things. Stick a finger in his mouth, he will bite down on it. Give him a blanket, stuffed animal or burp cloth, he will chew all over it. Not totally into the cold or regular teething toys, he just licks them.


At this point I'm not 100% sure he is actually teething, but he's certainly exhibiting some of the normal teething behaviors.

Other things going on: Remember the rolling he's discovered how to do? So cute and fun to see him figure it out. Here's the downside: he's rolling in his crib!! One (very early) morning when he was fussing, I went to his crib to calm him down and give him his pacifier. He took it, calmed down immediately (to my delight), then threw his legs up in the air and rolled onto his right side. Being the (sometimes) paranoid mother that I am, I brought his legs back over and rolled him on to his back. At which point he rolled again. I rolled him back. And he rolled yet again. So I gave up.  Guess I will just stay up all night checking on him worried about SIDS. :(

Yeahhhh.... I found him sleeping on his side this morning during his nap.

But he's learned to love bathtime! We discovered that he just doesn't want to lay in the tub, only sit in it. Introduced some bath toys and ta-da... no longer the horrible event it once was. 

No comments:

Post a Comment