Thursday, May 8, 2014

Nolan {23 months}

Size: He loves to play on our scale every few days and he's been consistently hitting 26lbs. I attempted to measure him the other day and unofficially got 33.5" tall. Nolan has his 2-year check-up next month, so we'll get to see how he's grown! Wearing a little bit of 18 month, mostly 18-24 month and 24 month clothing. I assume he will be in all 24 month clothes through the summer and we'll start seeing 2T in the fall--he's just so lean that everything seems to swallow him up! Daytime diapers are still a 4 (it's that little waist of his) and nighttime at a 5. Shoes are a size 5.


Haircut: Yup, another one so he looks clean cut for Easter.

Teeth: No new teeth this past month, he's still missing his bottom R lateral incisor, top canines and 2 yr molars. He's kinda chomping on his fingers every now and then but I don't feel anything coming.

Illness: I think allergies finally got a hold of him the past couple weeks. He started up with a runny (greenish) nose, a mild cough that seemed to peak a few days ago with goopy eyes. We are just treating it over the counter with medicated nose spray and it seems to be dying down. Very little eye discharge and nose drainage it slowing, so maybe he kicked it. One thing is for sure, there was absolutely no fever and no colored ear drainage!!


Fine Motor: His dexterity is always improving. I see him using his pincer grip pretty effectively even for small things. He loves to use a fork and spoon and it's always right-handed. When we went to the Children's Museum, he loved painting on the wall... seems like I need to do more painting with him--maybe he's my artistic child just waiting to bloom?!


Language: Cannot. Keep. Up. Nolan talks in sentences now. Short sentences, but almost always 3-6 word sentence. I really can't believe how far he has come in what feels like a really short time. I hesitate to say this, but I think he's talking better at 23 months old than Jonah was at this age--and Jonah is a talker!! In the past week, Nolan has been caught with a couple funny words/sayings: "Daddy, Frozen songs please!" when he got in the car. Haha! And yes, even Nolan can sing "Let it Go". :) Also, he started asking "why?". I am totally floored by it. I guess what amazes me about it is that he has been using in the right context, i.e., "Nolan, no snacks right now." "Why?" Just seems entirely to early to be answering that question--I blame it on his big brother. At this age, Jonah knew most of his letters and could sing the alphabet... Nolan is working on it, but can only get a few letters at this time. Jonah could not get his colors right, Nolan knows them all!!! And says "No-no favorite purple." :)

Personality: Wow, he is totally my rebel child and quickly entering into the terrible twos, except he has an attitude of a 3-yr-old!! This is the phase I've been dreading: Nolan in the terrible 2s and Jonah at 3 (which is way worse than 2s, let me tell you). Nolan has not been listening well and gets very mad when you tell him "no" and ask him to do something he doesn't want to do (sit down). He has also started taking off running in the opposite direction. Let's just say he's a handful. Nolan is wild-spirited and yet so sweet. He's as stubborn as an ox, and yet gives the best hugs and strangers think he's just the most darling little kid. He has a giggle that makes you laugh because it's so cute, and yet he gets all red-faced and stomps around when he doesn't get his way. But, we love him. I think we just need to crack down a little harder on the discipline.


Favorites: Purple (and all colors), water, pirates, mickey mouse, puzzles, books (If You Give A Mouse a Cookie, Little Blue Truck, Very Hungry Caterpillar, Brown Bear are all favorites right now), snacks and treats, mac 'n cheese, cheese, watermelon, raisins, frozen songs & all music, blanket, bobcat & bear

Toddler moments: Restaurants are getting tough for us because he absolutely refuses a high chair now but will not sit still in a booth with a booster. It's become a nightmare. He throws little tantrums when he doesn't get his way. He is staying in time-out better, but it may take a couple trips to time out to get him to stay for a minute. Moving up to 2 minutes next month is gonna be tough!!


Happy 23 months, Nolan! 

No comments:

Post a Comment