Friday, November 16, 2012

23 months {Jonah}

So sorry it was a late post! Our computer had a small virus that we couldn't get off for several days. Now I should be all caught up! 


Size: Not really sure anymore!! He has his 2 year [gasp!] checkup next month so we will get official measurements, but I'm guessing somewhere around 30 pounds and probably about 3 feet tall! A lot of his 18-24 month stuff is getting small on him, but 2T is still plenty roomy. Shoes are mostly size 6. Diapers are 4s in the day and 5s at night.


Motor Development: Jonah has started jumping off of things this month. He likes to jump off curbs or steps, mostly. I don't think he's shown a strong handedness preference yet, as he will eat and throw with both arms and kick with both legs.


Language: He never stops talking. Seriously. He's loving the alphabet right now and is pretty darn good at identifying most of the letters correctly, and he can pretty much recite the alphabet with a few missed letters. With counting, he's still missing a few, but will go 1, 2, 3, 4, 8, 9, 10, 11 pretty well-- it's those darn middle numbers he can't seem to remember! ;) And he counts 1-5 and tries to count 6-10 en espanol! I will admit, this kid does not know his colors! We've been working on them, but for some reason, he just doesn't seem to get them right. He can count, he knows his shapes, knows a lot of letters and words and can string them together in 3-5 word phrases, but don't ask him a color--please!!


New Things: I've noticed this month that Jonah is starting to recite words to songs by himself. So far, his repetoire includes No More Monkeys (Jumping on the Bed), Itsy Bitsy Spider, and Happy Birthday. Jonah knows his name ("No-nah") and will use "me" correctly as well. He has also started remembering people's names really well. There are probably about 20 names of people we see on a semi-regular basis that he can recite correctly. My favorites are still Nolan ("Noley") and Grammy ("Mammy" or "Mimi"). And he likes to take his shirt off during naptime. Why, I have no clue. And as you see above, he got to ride sit on his first pony!


Potty Training: (yep, I decided this needed it's own category since we'll be doing it for a while) Well, we're not getting terribly far in the adventure of potty training...yet. The past 2 weeks, Jonah pooped on the potty at daycare--which was totally a first--and peed on the potty at home again! I know his pooping schedule but have not been able to get him to go on the potty at home (even though I know he has to poop and as soon as I take him off, will poop in his diaper). He will rarely pee in the potty,  but is becoming a little more accepting of the whole pottying idea and doesn't always throw a tantrum. We have also started using the huggies little movers slip-on diapers during the day as a way to hopefully transition him to pull-ups when his pottying gets better (he calls them the "big diaper" since I referred to it as a big boy diaper).

Jonah-isms: This is kid obsessed with birthdays. Or we just celebrate too many in our family. He loves to ask about birthdays, sing happy birthday, blow out candles and eat cake. ~ Could live off crackers, applesauce, milk and fruit snacks ~ Loves to carry our drink coasters around with him ~ Tells Elsie "get down" and "no kitty" when she jumps up on the counter.


Toddler moments: Oh boy, these tantrums are piling up now! He's starting to wear the floor out in our time out spot! These days, he's been having difficulty with following through on what we ask of him or accepting the word "no". Jonah has decided that he doesn't have to physically stay in time out anymore, which of course has only increased the amount of time he actually spends in time out because we have to keep putting him back and starting the timer over. He's gonna have a hard time next month when time out moves up to 2 whole minutes! Jonah continues to use the throw-myself-on-the-floor routine as a favorite to make us react. Usually doesn't work.





And just because my daycare is awesome, I thought I would include Jonah's development skills checklist from last month (just after I did his 22 month post). Some of the items he is now doing that he wasn't just a couple weeks ago!


Happy 23 months, Jonah--I can't believe you'll be 2 years old soon! 

No comments:

Post a Comment