Friday, September 7, 2012

3 months {Nolan}


Size: Our personal scale says over 13 lbs, but he won't get an official weigh-in for another month. My unofficial length measurement was 24 inches. He's still in all 0-3 and 3 month clothes, size 1 or 1-2 diapers.


Mobility/Development: Nolan has rolled himself from his tummy to his right side and then on to his back a few times already. When we lay him on his back, he rarely tries to roll when we are playing. Once it's nap time and he gets all fidgety, he will roll himself from his back almost all the way on to his side while in his crib. I think at this point, he's strong enough and capable of actually rolling almost any direction, he just doesn't know it yet! Nolan is getting better at sitting, supported and unsupported, and really doesn't have much of a head bobble anymore when upright. [I know he won't really be sitting unsupported for a few months due to those righting reflexes!] He likes to punch and kick at some of his toys and is getting better at grasping objects like rings and blankets.


Sleep: Alright, we've made some big changes in this area this month -- some good and some not so good! Nolan made the switch to his crib shortly after his 2 month birthday and has been sleeping every night in his crib since. We have had only one bad night since the switch (he woke up at 2am), but otherwise he sleeps his regular 6-8 hours swaddled up in his crib. Normal wake up time was about 4:30-5am for a feeding, but since I returned to work, he's been waking at 3:45am -- not cool. I quit putting him on his tummy for naptime because I am just really uncomfortable with it! And what resulted was a loss of sufficient naps in his crib. Boo. For the last month, I have been able to usually get him down asleep in his crib with minimal fussing, it's the staying asleep part that he stinks at. Nolan likes to wake up from his nap about 20-40 minutes into it, and I would say only about 20% of the time I am able to get him back to sleep for the entire nap. That really stinks for both of us. What usually happens is I try and try to get him back to sleep and then he escalates to the point of screaming and then there's no salvaging the nap. I either give up and just let him be awake, or I plop him in the swing and he eventually drifts back to sleep. Here's hoping for some positive gains in naptime over the next month.


Feeding: Nolan is still eating "on demand" which seems to be about every 3 hours. He's not as persistent for the every 2 hours in the evening as he used to be, and seems content with every 3.  Normal consumption on the bottle is about 4-5 ounces still, but has been known to take up to 6.


Personality: Oh boy, I've got some things to say about his little personality! First of all, he is such a sweet and smiley little guy at times during the day. He has this sweet shy, little smile where he partially closes one eye because he's smiling so big! Nolan is very much a little cuddlebug, too. But of course, there are the not so pleasant times. I don't want to go into details on this post, but you can find the darker side to month 3 here.


Loves: being held, big brother, his colorful peacock toy, listening to rattles and music, his fluffy lovie, blankets, bathtime, mommy and daddy, blinds, fans, sometimes pacifiers, swing, baby k'tan

Dislikes: pacifiers on occasion, being alone, nap time (ha!), carrier, the stroller sometimes

 [why do the baby boys get the long eyelashes?!]

Happy 3 months, Nolan! 

No comments:

Post a Comment